My memory told me the taste of traditional sweet buns, those days we enjoy a cup of black coffee and toasted bun served with butter, strawberry or coconut jam. The sweet bun is fully flourishing my childhood. I can finished several buns within an hour. The original taste is always the best. Therefore I’ve decided to make these buns today, to capture those forgotten memories.
The Chinese sweet bun is different from others where it usually does not involve butter and milk. These two ingredients were replaced by plain water and shortening. Thus the Chinese sweet bun recipe is pretty straightforward where it doesn’t involve additional preservatives like bread improver and dough softener. The belief is shortening can keep bread longer. Among hundreds and thousands of sweet bread recipes, this food item is standing out. Here comes the exclusive sweet bun recipe for your reference.
Traditional Chinese Sweet Bun Recipe (Serve 9)
- Bread Flour 150g, cake flour 150g, milk powder 9g, castor sugar 60g, salt 5g, instant dry yeast 6g, water 125g, 1 egg, shortening 50g
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius
- Place all ingredients to a large bowl, mix well till forms rough dough. Then add in shortening. Transfer the dough to your work surface and start kneading it; it should take about 15-20 minutes. Knead until the dough becomes smooth and elastic and not sticky to hand.
- Transfer the dough into a large bowl; cover it with cling film or clean tea towel. Let it proof at warm place for about 35-40 minutes or double in sizes.
- After the dough double in size, punch it to remove air. Knead for about 2 minutes and make it to a round shape, let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, divide the dough into 9 portions, each take about 60g. Round up each portion to form small round balls.
- Place the round dough to a square 3×3 bread/cake tin. Cover it with clean towel and let it proof for about 40 minutes before sending it to oven.
- Bake the bread for 25 minutes.
- Remove the baked bread from the pan immediately after taking it out from oven. Transferring it to wire rack to cool. Serve the bun with jam, butter or cream.
The bun turns out super sweet, soft and tender, best to pair with hot coffee or cocoa. For many of you who want to chase for memory, try this recipe out. It delivers lots of surprises for you.